How is it given:
Given in IV form 100 mg mixed in 250cc bag of Normal Saline over a period of 45 min to 1 hour. Depending on iron level and related iron deficiency anemia, it is recommended that you receive 3-4 doses given weekly before having bloodwork rechecked 3 weeks after the last dose.
- Diarrhea and stomach upset (not as significant as with an oral iron dose)
- Headache, muscle, back and joint pain can be alleviated or prevented by drinking plenty of fluids
- Injection site reactions and potential injection site discoloration
- Dizziness or low Blood Pressure
- Swelling in lower extremities
*Most infusion reactions can be ameliorated by drinking plenty of fluids and slowing the infusion rate. Anaphylactic reactions are rare.